Tuesday 27 March 2007

Visual Studio turns 10 years old

It's hard to believe that Developer Studio turned ten years old on March 19th. While I'm not big time Developer Studio Power User I do use it each and every day to write server side software and have so since 1999. Here's why I like Developer Studio.
  1. MSDN -- w/o a doubt the best online C++ help
  2. Intellisense
  3. Debugger

What I don't like.
  1. Resource Hog
    1. Leaving the IDE running long term (multiple days) consumes memory and becomes sluggish
  2. Sometime Intellisense freaks out and takes minutes to rebuild its database

I still use ddd and Emacs when programming in the unix world and quite honestly I could easily go back to the world of emacs-man-ddd instead of using an integrated IDE like Developer Studio but as long as my employer insists on running the data center on Win32... so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment