Thursday 17 January 2008

NetBeans 6.0 Saves Time

First a quick disclosure. I work full time for Sun Microsystems in Sun Learning doing writing, development, and instructional design work. So this may or may not influence my opinion of Netbeans, but it definitely needs to be out in the open.



I have been working a short project that will hopefully provide developer with a quick intro the Java Persistence API. My work at the start of a project like this consists mainly of me writing the solutions for the labs. Then I write the labs, then the content to support the labs. So right now, I'm doing a little EJB, a little JPA, a little JSP, and a little servlet coding. Been doing this all in NetBeans 6.0, and I gotta say, Netbeans 6.0 has saved me a ton of time.



I have always been a text editor guy myself. I feel most IDEs (not just for Java, for anything, HTML, Javascript, Perl, whatever) just get in the way and waste a lot of your time. And not only that, they tend to write poor code (just look at about any HTML gui editor). But NetBeans does some really handy things: good syntax checking, making sure you reference declared variables, checking return types to make sure they match with the receiving variable, nice code templates for common components. Little things, but really useful, cool stuff.



So if you are planning to do some J2EE coding, and you haven't given an IDE a try, take a look a NetBeans 6.0. You might like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment