Monday 9 February 2009

A Complete History of Java (Sort Of)


Well I thought I had posted on the history of Java before, but I just checked and I didn't. The subject has just come up again at work so I'm writing this post for my future reference. Hopefully it will be useful to you as well.



The Java Project and Language


Here are some good links on how it all got started and the languages initial success.



The early history is focused on the Java language and its use as a key component of Web browsers. But that is only part of the story.



Server Side Java: Tomcat and Servlets


Java's biggest success has been on the server side of Internet applications. The first part of that story, is the development of servlets and Apache Tomcat.




Server Side Java: App Servers


The second part of the server side story is the application servers. At Sun, a number of products were merged together, rewritten, etc..., until we eventually got to the open source Glassfish Server. I found two good pages on the subject.




I know I didn't cover J2ME and I'm sure there is a lot of other Java topics I left out too. But what I did find is very interesting stuff. I wish more of it was written down.

No comments:

Post a Comment