Friday 14 January 2011

Windows XP Environment Variable equivalents in Windows 7

Microsoft Logo

Today I had to install some software that uses default Windows XP paths. However, I am running Windows 7 64 bit, so the locations are different. What are the new paths in Windows 7?



Doing a quick Google, I found this: Recognized Environment Variables



This is a Microsoft tech note that maps/translates default Windows XP paths to Windows 7 paths. Very, very useful.



In my case, I need to know what are the default paths for user templates and all user templates. Here is the scoop.



Templates for All Users

Windows XP Location: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Templates

Windows 7 Location: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates



Templates for a User Account

Windows XP Location: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Templates

Windows 7 Location: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates

No comments:

Post a Comment