Wednesday 6 June 2012

The TV Business is about to Collapse

Internet IconI found this post from Henry Blodget at Business Insider earlier this week. I just didn't have time to post until today.



The story is a really interesting read. It points out some key issues with the TV industry today including:

  • No one watches TV live any more.

  • No one watches ads any more.

  • We can watch movies on our laptops and tablets.

  • The majority of money we spend on cable is wasted.

That last point is a really important one. Right now you can't buy your content ala carte. In my case, the only reason I keep cable is to watch English soccer, the NBA, and some other sports. If I could get this content in another way, I would drop my cable tomorrow. I know a lot of people that have already cut the cord or feel the same way.



Another point, TV as an experience is just getting worse. There are sooooo many commercials now it is hard to enjoy anything. You know how you used to be able to flip between to channels? When a commercial was running on one, you could watch the other? Now it seems like all the networks are synced up! When you do that, everyone is running a commercial at the same time. So surfing your TV for new content becomes less and less useful. Because of this, I would much rather look for new content on Netflix where I can just search for it and play it.



Also have you noticed how bad most ads have become? We have gone from "I wish I was an Oscar Mayer weiner" to erectile dysfunction and a myriad of other ailments. Only the ads created for the Superbowl are any good. Most of the year, we end up looking at 95% total crap when it comes to ads.



So at this point, I have to agree with Mr Blodget. Things don't look good for the TV biz.

No comments:

Post a Comment