Sunday 6 May 2012

Moving On...

On Friday I got to experience what many have during this recession. I got 'let go'. It doesn't bother me that the company I worked with let me go. I'm a contractor. I understand the nature of the relationship. They pay me handsomely and in return they have the right to let me go for whatever reason whenever they feel like it.




What bothers me is the classless way they did it. I was sent an ominous meeting invite with just me and my boss attending... at 2:30pm... on a Friday. That left me with the whole day wondering what the hell my boss would want to talk to me about.




I had been with that company for almost 4 years and had bled, sweat, wept, worked, slaved for them during that time. I helped deliver (save) many projects. I didn't expect much. When I was told 'today is your last day at <blank>', I was also informed that I would not even be allowed to go back to my cube to collect any of my personal items. I had to depend on this company, which clearly lacks class and integrity, to deliver to me my personal items. By the way, they accidentally kept some of my personal items; an apple bluetooth keyboard, a router, etc.




That is what was so pathetic. After working for them for so long, I was literally walked out the door as if I was somehow caught doing something illegal (I wasn't and never had done anything untoward). The only thing I was missing were handcuffs.




The hypocrisy is great. If I were to leave them, I would have to give them two-four weeks notice. But they give me zero notice and expect me to be thankful.




I'm not vengeful. In-fact, I've been greeted with a great deal of interest from different companies. I see this as a great opportunity. I'm just sad that a company I worked with for so long was so short-sighted to treat someone in such an inhuman way.




This gives me some time to work on more fun projects anyway :)


No comments:

Post a Comment