Saturday 24 February 2007

R.I.P.

We see the initials R.I.P (Rest In Peace; latin: requiescat in pace) on many grave stones. Perhaps we need to R.I.P long before we are deceased.

However, for me R.I.P has come to mean something else entirely different. Having just gone through an employer/employee goal setting session this week, it put me in a reflective mood. So here's an alternative definition for R.I.P. -- Retrospection, Introspection and Prospection.

There is an old Jewish story that asks the question "Where have you come from and where are you going?" Good questions for today's hustle and bustle lifestyle. I like to use the hour long trip into and out of Chicago each morning/evening to contemplate my place in the universe.

  • Retrospection -- a looking back to what was and how things have changed (hopefully for the good); looking back at what was done (noble or not) and what others have done;
  • Introspection -- a looking inward to insure that thoughts, ideas, motives and desires are properly aligned
  • Prospection -- a looking ahead in anticipation of what might be; hope for tomorrow
I hope all who read this will R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment