Wednesday 21 July 2010

Ever Want to Know How Fast a Thumb/Flash Drive is?

Ever Want to Know How Fast a Thumb/Flash Drive is? I have. It is really hard to get any good decent information on speed. The reviews I find by Googling around cover all the frickin' features except the drives speed! That is the only feature I really care about other than size. Plus if I want to encrypt something, I am going to use an open source tool like truecypt, not some proprietary piece of feces.



Anyway, I found a good free Windows tool to do a little benchmarking, Crystal Disk Mark. It gets the job done and is really easy to use. Based on my testing, the only thing that seems to matter is the sequential read and write tests. That, in effect, is a file copy test, which is what I would use the drive for most of the time. All the drives I tested were horrible in the random access tests. You are much better off getting an external USB hard drive for that purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment