Sunday 15 July 2012

Everyone Hates Firefox Updates

Firefox LogoWebMonkey posted this last week on some of the discussions at Mozilla around updates. The story has links to the original post by developer Jono DiCarlo as well as some links to the discussions surrounding the post. The gist of the post is this, all the constant updates to Firefox, to be more like Google Chrome, is killing Firefox.



I couldn't agree more. Chrome can do all those updates because they take place in the background and seldom make any changes to the UI. By contrast, Firefox constantly asks you to approve the updates and the changes too often include major changes to the UI.



This is a particular pet peeve of mine. Of course software needs updated, but often these updates occur too frequently. Mac OS X, gets updates too often. Just when I get to the point where I start to enjoy a version, I HAVE to upgrade again.



The latest Ubuntu UI update is really irritating. It is not that the new Unity Heads Up Display (HUD) is bad. I just really liked the old version of the UI. Why are you forcing me to switch when I don't want to?



To me a 3 to 5 year cycle on operating system UI updates make a lot more sense, than yearly or even bi-yearly cycles. Plus, can't someone come up with a way so I can keep some of the features I like? That would be truly awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment