Monday 23 July 2012

Internet Usage by Operating System

Internet IconI found this interesting so I thought I would share:

Usage share of Operating Systems



For my next project at work, I was wondering what operating system to use for any activities. The original course, which this content is based off of, was written for Solaris. But I can't imagine most potential students would have that. So one way of determining operating system usage is to look at statistics gathered by browsers. So the link shows that data for Wikipedia and some other sites that gather these sort of statistics.



Some observations:

  • Windows usage is still around around 70% with most users on Windows 7 and XP.

  • iPhone plus iPad plus Android share is already over 10%. Smaller than I thought it would be, but if you think world wide usage it makes a lot of sense. Smart phones and tablets are just beginning to penetrate everywhere. And tablets are really gonna take off with 7" form factors and $200 list prices like the Google Nexus 7.

  • Mac OS X combined with Linux is only around 10%.

As another data point, I looked at the stats from one of my web sites (abbeyworkshop.com) to see what the geeks are using during the last year. Windows is still strong at 62%, but Mac OS X plus Linux jumps up to 36%. Way to go geeks!



Anyway, it looks like Windows 7 and XP are still my primary targets. But maybe I should think about Linux in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment