Thursday 13 May 2010

So Much for the NetBook Experiment



Well I have been playing around with a 10" HP Netbook for the last 6 months or so. I have taken it on business trips, vacations, and just around town. My goal was  to use it as much as possible and see how useful it is.



My conclusion.  Netbooks are just too damn small. lol. From a purely technical point of view, there is nothing to complain about. The Intel Atom CPU has plenty of power and Windows 7 is a pretty sweet OS. The HP has a great screen and really good battery life. Surfing the Web on Chrome or Firefox is good. And you can hardly feel it when you carry it around.



But have you ever tried to put the thing in your lap and work on it for more than 15 minutes?  Or actually do some writing or coding on the screen?  It just doesn't fit or work well. I feel like I have stolen a device from a gnome. lol.



Thus my enthusiasm for the iPad in a previous post. Instead of feeling small, it feels just about right. So its back to my 13" Macbook for actually getting something done and being portable.

No comments:

Post a Comment