Wednesday 5 May 2010

Umbrella with device detection is now in beta

Edit: Fixed a few random exceptions that would cause the app to be unable to detect devices. (VERY rare but still possible)



Edit: Re-added iPod Touch 2G support. Also added model number to the detection label at the bottom of the window so iPod Touch users can better tell if they need to save their SHSH or not (MC ipot touch 2g MUST)





Edit: I've gotten it working now with all versions of iTunes > 9.0. Windows x86 and 64 bit are supported, OSX is supported. (Vista, XP and Windows 7 are all confirmed working).



This is RC1. I'm going to work on any bugs you guys find and RC2 will have linux support. Final will fix any linux bugs and should be fully functional.





As a note I *MAY* support 64bit java on windows through a bridge or using libimobiledevice. We'll see...



Edit: I've been working on bug fixing and currently all I have left is getting iTunes 9.1.x working. Windows 64 will not work until I write some form of bridging code. And after this initial release I'll get right to work on the linux version... which I promised @posixninja :P



I've finished implementing the device detection logic for Umbrella. I've kept the codebase in java simply because I'm lazy and don't feel like porting all of that code to c AND maintaining 4+ versions for each operating system.



The first thing you'll notice in the zip is that the source and supporting files are not in there. The fact is that the support files are huge. The zip file was over 10mb with them in it. So I've stripped it down to just the umbrella.exe and umbrella.dmg (and tinytss.exe which is unchanged for now).


This beta will only support windows and mac (linux is in the works). Even further, it only supports 32 bit java. I've gotten some nasty errors on 64 bit java in windows and before I do a full release I want to make sure those are ironed out. I'm not 100% sure this will work on windows 64 with a 32 bit java JVM but by all means give it a try.


This new version is very simple. Here's a screenshot:
As you can see it doesn't get much easier. When you start the app it will tell you to connect a device.


Once the device is connected you will be able to get your shsh for 3.1.3/3.2 depending on your device.


That's it (for most users).








For the rest of you there are 'Advanced Options' which is nothing more than the options you used to have.


If a device is connected, the ECID field will be populated for your convenience. Or if you want to get the SHSH for another device, enter it like you did in the old version.


Please remember this is beta. I'm only realeasing it because I think it works "OK" not perfect but definitely well enough that most people will be able to work just fine. In fact I've personally tested it on OSX, Windows 7 (32 bit) and Windows XP (32 bit) and have had no problems.


There are some requirements in order to get the detection to work.


  1. You must have iTunes > 9.0 installed and (I've received at least one report that win 7 64bit with 9.1.1.11 iTunes works)

  2. You must have java jdk 1.5 or higher.

  3. For the Windows version you need to be able to run it as administrator because I read the registry for the native library locations.

  4. You must not be using 64 bit java (Windows only)

  5. 64 bit windows is OK as long as you are using 32 bit java.

I think that about sums it up. Save those SHSH files!

No comments:

Post a Comment